Matthew & Freda Read Housec. 1922, Frame Vernacular style - 414 Pine St.
This house was constructed in 1922, the year after Matthew H. and Freda Read purchased the property on which it sits. Matthew Read was a local real estate agent and Freda operated a millinery shop. In the late 1930s the house was purchased by Albert Worthington Lawnin who lived there a few years before his health deteriorated. The house was then acquired by E.M. and Louise Butler who lived there into the 1950s. Most recently the home was purchased in 2003 by Sue and Ben Brierley, who currently occupy it. This one and a half-story wood frame building is an example of Frame Vernacular architecture. It has an irregular plan consisting of a gable roof main unit and a shed extension. Two shed dormers pierce the roof. The exterior walls are sheathed with asbestos shingles and fenestration consists of double-hung sash windows with 1/1 lights. An entrance porch with a hip roof and square column supports extends from the facade. The building sits on a brick pier foundation.
© 2023 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society