F.W. Purrington Housec. 1915, Colonial Revival style - 202 N. Summit St.
This building first appears on the 1926 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, the first such map prepared for Crescent City. Architectural evidence based on comparisons with buildings of similar size and design indicates that the building was constructed about 1915. The first documented owner of the house was F.W. Purrington. Subsequent owners include Thomas R. and Annie Clark, Thomas and Joyce Mullinax, and Ouida Nettles. The house is owned by Carol Horner, who currently occupies it. The typical Colonial Revival house in Florida is an eclectic mixture of several of colonial designs. The style first appeared in the state in the late 1880s and continues to be built in modified forms today. Some of the identifying characteristics of Colonial Revival architecture include a gable, hip, or gambrel roof; an accentuated door, often with a classical surround; simple entry porches supported by slender columns; a symmetrical facade (although it is fairly common for the door to be set off-center); double-hung sash windows, usually with multi-pane glazing in each sash; and windows that are frequently set in pairs.
© 2023 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society