This Place Matters logo

Union Bethel A.M.E. Church, 200 Cedar St.

1880, Late Gothic Revival

The Union Bethel A.M.E. congregation traces its roots to the early 1880s. The church was moved several times, with the last move including an expansion to the building. Despite the extensive changes over the years, the church is among the most significant surviving buildings associated with the long history of Crescent City’s black community. Built in the early 1880s, it is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. A. Phillip Randolph is an extremely prominent figure in Crescent City. He was born in 1889 and grew up in the church where his father was pastor. In 1925 he founded the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters and went on to form many affiliations of the AFL-CIO. The parsonage was constructed in 1920 and first appears on the 1926 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.

© 2024 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.