This Place Matters logo

Peacock Furniture, 517 Central Ave.

c. 1910, Frame Vernacular style 

This building first appears on the 1926 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, the first such map prepared for Crescent City. Architectural evidence based on comparisons with buildings of similar size and design indicates that the building was constructed about 1910. It was originally operated as the Hart Furniture Company Store. In 1930 it was purchased by J.T. Peacock, an employee of Hart Furniture. Peacock operated J.T. Peacock & Sons Furniture out of the ground floor and lived with his family in the upstairs apartment. It has an irregular plan consisting of a gable roof main unit and a gable extension. The exterior wall fabric is clapboard and fenestration consists of fixed windows. A balcony with a hip roof, square post supports and a knee wall extends from the second story. The building sits on a brick pier foundation.


© 2024 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.