This Place Matters logo

Mathis/Kane-DeVitto House, 108 S. Main St.

c. 1926, Prairie style

The Kane-DeVitto home on Lake Stella was built in 1926, by Ernest Mathis. A two-story house of the Prairie style; It features a hip roof, wide front veranda, square columns, a large fireplace, and double hung sash windows with 6/1 lights. A central hallway runs through the home on both floors, with a view of the lake. Exterior construction is stucco over tile block – one of the few stucco homes in town. Dr. and Mrs. B.E. Kane purchased the home in 1941 to serve  as their family home, and as Dr. Kane’s medical office. Dr. Kane was an avid gardener. His azaleas and camellias remain. Mrs. Kane was a life member of the Crescent City Woman’s Club. Lisa Kane-DeVitto, a granddaughter, and her husband, Ralph, became owners in 2010.


© 2024 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.