Lyon House, 209 S. Prospect St.

c. 1882, Italianate style, destroyed by fire 2005 –

This home was constructed in 1882 by Leonard Eaton, Crescent City’s most prominent architect and builder, for winter residents Charles and Cornelia Lyon. The Lyons, who came from Grosse Isle, Michigan, purchased the property in 1882 and hired Eaton to design and construct the house. It featured a number of characteristics that were common to the Italianate style, including a low-pitched hip roof, a square cupola with a widow’s walk, a tiered veranda, and elaborate carved brackets and ornate balustrades. This house was considered one of the most important historic architectural resources in Crescent City. But tragically the house was completely destroyed by a fire on May 22, 2005. The property is now owned by the school district.

If the name “Lyon” looks familiar, you are correct in making the connection to Eva Lyon Park. The land for the park was donated to the city by the Lyon family and is named in memory of their daughter Eva.

© 2024 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.