Hubbs-Register-Swanson House, 402 S. Prospect St.

c. 1905, Frame Vernacular style

This two and one-half-story wood frame residential building was located at 402 S. Prospect St. The house was constructed about 1905 for Manly Roland Hubbs. It was originally located across from its later site on the north side of Orange Avenue. It was moved to this location about 1963. Hubbs first came to Crescent City about 1903 and ultimately became one of the most prominent people associated with the city’s citrus industry. He was a partner in the firm of McCormick & Hubbs, which brokered Florida citrus products in the New York area. In addition, the firm owned extensive groves of its own in Crescent City and other areas of central Florida. In 1915 it was the largest single producer in Crescent City, shipping 15,000 boxes of fruit from its 80 acres of groves. Hubbs spent several months each winter at the house until his death in 1933. Subsequent owners included Rudoph and Rebecca Register and Stanley and Mary Swanson. The property remains in the Swanson family.

© 2024 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.