Image

Lucy Hardy House

c. 1890, Frame Vernacular style - 334 Central Ave.
Image
This house was probably constructed sometime between 1883 and 1890. It was originally owned and used as a summer home by William and Adelaide Hutchinson of Cranstin, Rhode Island. In 1899 the Hutchinsons sold the lot and house to James J. Horton of Attleboro, Massachusetts for $2,000. It remained in the Horton family until 1919 when Joseph J. McGrady purchased the property. In 1922 the Peoples Bank of Crescent City used the building as temporary offices until the two-story brick building located next door at 336 Central A venue was completed. In the ensuing years, the building was utilized by several doctors as an office. Between 1930 and 1932 the Clayton Frank Funeral Home was located there. In 1929 it was purchased by C.L. Chamberlin. Charles Lincoln Chamberlin came to Crescent City in 1884 from Tennessee. He married Rosa Gautier in 1887 and the couple had six children. Chamberlin established one of the first general stores in Crescent City. After his death in 1940, the house reverted to his wife. In 1942 Rosa Chamberlin deeded the house to her daughter Lucy Hardy. Hardy lived at the house with her family until her death in 1988.
© 2022 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society