Howe Memorial United Methodist Churchc. 1922, Classical Revival style - 252 S. Summit St.
The Methodist denomination is the oldest continuous denomination in the area. Thomas Gautier, the son of Methodist Circuit Rider Peter Gautier, was a Confederate Chaplain who came to Crescent City in 1867. Legend states that when he “first set foot ashore at the boat landing, he announced that the following Sunday there would be religious services, and all were invited to attend.” He soon built a one room log cabin where worship would be celebrated. The church was chartered in 1868. The cornerstone for the present church was laid July 28, 1922. The education building was added in 1957, and the fellowship hall was completed in 1995. During 2018, the church celebrated 150 years of service to the community.
© 2022 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society