Church of the Holy Comforterc. 1878, Carpenter Gothic style - 223 N. Summit St.
The Church of the Holy Comforter Episcopal Church was constructed in 1878 in the Carpenter Gothic style. It was the first church built in Crescent City and is located at 223 N. Summit Street. In later years, a bell tower was added, and Dearing Hall was constructed. This hall was the only area available to the city’s residents where they could meet in large groups. The property also contains a manse on the south side, and church offices to the north. The sanctuary features the large open beams in the ceiling and lancet windows typical of the Carpenter Gothic Style. There are several other small churches of this style near the St. Johns River from Sanford to Jacksonville.
© 2022 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society