J.R. Hill Storec. 1885, Frame Vernacular style - 230 Central Ave.
The J.R. Hill Building was constructed in 1885 by Leonard Eaton, Crescent City's most prominent historic
era contractor. J.R. Hill operated a general merchandise store out of the building for much of the remainder of the nineteenth century. In 1909 Thomas Darby purchased the building and opened a store there. In 1941 Mathis Cleaners, a dry-cleaning establishment, moved to the building. Although it has been altered over time, the building possesses significance as one of the oldest extant commercial blocks in the city. The building has been vacant for many years, but plans are underway to renovate and restore the first floor for commercial use. While the second floor will be rented out as an apartment, according to current owner James L. Padgett, IV.