First Presbyterian Churchc. 1883, late Gothic Revival style - 301 Cypress Ave.
This one and a half story wood framed religious building is an example of late Gothic Revival style architecture – an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style which was most popular in the U.S. between 1840 and 1870. The first record of a Presbyterian service was in December of 1878, in a schoolhouse in the northern part of town. Rev. J.L. French often visited his property there and probably held services when he came. In the summer of 1882, the presbyterian minister from Palatka came about once a month. He obtained the plot of ground where the church and fellowship hall now stand. The Rev. J.K. Wright of the Presbytery of North River, N.Y. came in the winter of 1882-83. He held services in the schoolhouse and on March 24, 1883, the church was founded with eleven charter members. During that summer, construction began on the church building. Work was done on the “pay-as-you-go” plan and was ready for use, uncompleted, in January 1884. The church bell was installed in 1886. It was completed and dedicated in 1888. Both the church and the chapel building are eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
© 2022 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society