C.E. Cook Housec. 1910, Colonial Revival style - 240 S. Prospect St.
This house was constructed soon after the property on which it sits was purchased by C.E. Cook from James and Eveline Howe in 1910. Subsequent owners during the historic period were Carol Warner and Rufus and Verna West. The house was purchased in 1982 by the Delaney's. The building is locally significant for its association with residential development in Crescent City during the early twentieth century. It is an example of Colonial Revival style architecture. The typical Colonial Revival house in Florida is an eclectic mixture of several colonial designs. The style first appeared in the state in the late 1880s and continues to be built in modified forms today. Some of the identifying characteristics of Colonial Revival architecture include a gable, hip, or gambrel roof; an accentuated door, often with a classical surround; simple entry porches supported by slender columns; a symmetrical facade; double-hung sash windows, usually with multi-pane glazing in each sash; and windows that are frequently set in pairs.
© 2023 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society