Image

The Cheatham House

c. 1911, Prairie style - 102 S. Main St.
Image

This house was constructed shortly after the lot on which it sits was purchased by winter resident Charles A. Cheatham in 1911. The Prairie style, buff brick building was built at a cost of $40,000 and hailed as the "most substantially constructed (house) in the city." In the mid 1920s the property was purchased by J.C. Callum of Batesburg, S.C. In 1927 Callum sold the house to local citrus grower H.D. Collette, who added a four-car garage to the rear of the property. The following year, Callum sold the house to R.L. Smith, a prominent local businessman who served several terms as a city councilman from 1930 to 1938 and mayor from 1942 to 1945. The house remains in excellent condition and retains most of its original architectural integrity. Howard Lee bought the home in 2021 and currently occupies it. The house is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places as an individual property.

© 2022 Fruitland Peninsula Historical Society